"Their stories are so powerful": Community-based approaches to infant safe sleep and breastfeeding promotion
August 23, 2023 from 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM (EDT)
While sudden unexpected infant death (SUID) and breastfeeding are public health issues across population groups, significant disparities exist across race, ethnicity, and geography. To center the lived experiences of communities, many MCH programs are shifting to community-driven work to promote safe sleep and breastfeeding, including the National Action Partnership to Promote Safe Sleep Improvement and Innovation Network (NAPPSS-IIN).
This webinar discussed how the NAPPSS-IIN programmatic and evaluation pursuits shifted to center community voices within participatory quality improvement (QI). Community partners share their experiences leading and implementing QI activities. Implications for MCH projects and community-based research were discussed.
Moderator: Meera Menon, Ph.D, Associate Director of Research and Evaluation, NICHQ
- Angeline Bell, BS, RN, CCE, CBS, Certified Childbirth Educator and Lactation Specialist, Program Manager, Babies Born Healthy, Montgomery County, MD
- Crystal Trent Paultre, MSN, RN, CBS, Community Health Nurse, Babies Born Healthy, Montgomery County, MD
- Lynnette Byfield, Community Health Worker, Babies Born Healthy, Montgomery County, MD
- Stacy Scott, Ph.D., MPA, VP of Health Equity and Innovation, NICHQ
- Rebecca Huber, MPP, Senior Analyst, NICHQ