Applications for the 2024 Summer Internship Program are now open on Handshake! Please see our Handshake Company Profile to apply for the 2024 Summer Internship Program. All interns must receive college credit to be considered. Internships are a minimum of 120 hours.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE SUNDAY, MARCH 10, 2024
Don't see our listings? Is your school not on Handshake? We want to help! Please email [email protected] with your school name, internship application deadline, and career services contact information and we'll figure out the best course of action.
Internships at NICHQ
The National Institute for Children’s Health Quality (NICHQ) has internship opportunities for students and recent graduates who would like to learn about public health work in federal, state, and community settings. There are many different types of internships at NICHQ that equip students with insight into public health programs. NICHQ offers internships in the departments of:
NICHQ staff work collaboratively with each intern to create a fulfilling experience that contributes to the organization's daily work in a meaningful way. During your time with NICHQ, you will participate in a Quality Improvement Workshop Series with other summer interns – and share your experience widely with the larger NICHQ team!
Sign up for future info on NICHQ internships!
More About National Institute for Children’s Health Quality (NICHQ)
The National Institute for Children’s Health Quality (NICHQ) is a mission-driven nonprofit dedicated to driving dramatic and sustainable improvements in the complex issues facing children’s health. We provide deep expertise in building and managing effective change strategies that align partners and engage participants to achieve better outcomes for children’s health. At the heart of what motivates us is the belief that children and families deserve better systems and supports so that every child achieves their optimal health. Because of this belief, addressing social determinants of health, eliminating health disparities, and achieving equity are central to our mission. We believe that by creating a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, we will similarly foster greater strength and resilience within and beyond the organization.
Interns will support children’s health initiative projects currently active at NICHQ. You’ll work on a diverse team that may include a Project Director, a Project Manager, an Improvement Advisor, and a Data Analyst, along with external partners to address the social determinants that affect disparities in children’s health across the United States. You will develop knowledge around quality improvement methodology, including the Breakthrough Series, and apply it to your daily work. You’ll learn to utilize key documents such as project charters, measurement strategies, and driver diagrams. Expect your responsibilities to include communicating with project participants and external partners, supporting meetings and webinars, and participating in overall project management. Additional responsibilities may include monitoring and facilitating communication with project participants through NICHQ’s brand new online technology platform, the Community, Research, & Analytics Lab (CORAL), and/or contributing to digital communications activities, such as newsletters.
Communications & Digital Strategy
Interns will support a variety of digital marketing and communications functions at NICHQ. You’ll support a small-but-mighty team that includes the Manager of Communications & Digital Strategy, our new Web & Product Manager, and the Director of Communications & Digital Strategy. Learn about nonprofit branding in maternal and child health while you liaise with active projects, generate content, and support any of the following key functions:
- Content Production: Be a part of our exciting content engine, from supporting virtual events to producing segments for our podcast, Before Birth & Beyond
- Social Media: Support NICHQ’s growing social media presence, contributing to content production, experiments, and campaign planning; collaborate on content strategy; dabble in paid social; help us refine our audience approaches.
- Website: Collaborate with NICHQ project partner teams to improve website presence; participate in website redesign projects (WordPress environment); learn about accessibility compliance.
Department of Applied Research and Evaluation (DARE)
Interns will conduct applied research and evaluation activities related to NICHQ’s work in child and family health and well-being. You’ll work with senior members of NICHQ’s Department of Applied Research and Evaluation (DARE) team to support the execution of data and evaluation activities that complement NICHQ’s project work in addressing social determinants that affect disparities in children’s health across the United States. You will develop knowledge around program evaluation, implementation science, and research project design and planning. Responsibilities may include the coordination of data and evaluation activities, preparing IRB applications, assisting in developing interview protocols and surveys, data cleaning and analysis, and conducting literature reviews.
You’ll be a great fit if you:
- Are passionate about public health
- Are interested in learning about quality improvement
- Have excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Can balance multiple tasks and prioritize, work autonomously, establish timelines, and meet deadlines
- Work well in a team environment and can generate solutions to issues as they arise
- Consider yourself flexible and adaptable
- Can work productively under pressure in a fast-moving environment
- Are interested in ongoing professional development and growth
- Are fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including modeling inclusive language and behaviors
What NICHQ can offer you:
- Learning quality improvement methodology
- Personalized internship experience
- Shadowing, mentoring, and training opportunities with experienced, knowledgeable professionals
- Opportunity to build your professional network
- Flexible schedule – virtual until further notice!
- Ability to comply with university credit or practicum requirements
Schedule and Duration
- Start and End Date: Flexible durations between May and August
- Flexible schedule
- Currently fully remote
- Minimum 120 credit hours
- Interns receive up to a $2,000 stipend
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY IN HIRING: NICHQ is committed to increasing the representation of people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds in our workforce and valuing and embracing their skills, perspectives, and experiences for the benefit of our mission. NICHQ is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.